Canadian coupons, deals, flyers and contests
  Browse   Categories   CANADIA... » Contests ...    

Forum

Forum

Discuss and share Canadian Shopping Experience - deals, coupons, flyers and contests.

Why do Canadian contests EXCLUDE Quebec????

Just curious,

I understand when an Ontario company, or any province for that matter, has their contests, they can state Ontario only, etc.  They obviously don't want to have to deliver or express out of their own province, I can get that.

My question, why do Canada wide contests mostly say, except Quebec???   Do they have special rules for winning contests?  Are there special taxes or something???

It just doesn't seem Canadian to me to exclude Quebec.

Just my 2 cents!!!

84 topics   181 posts
Valued Contributor
Not sure how it works now, but I know at one time the Regie des loteries in Quebec taxed prizes that were given away in Quebec and prizes that were given away in other provinces as well. Companies don't want to pay all these taxes out, so it is cheaper and easier to exclude Quebec residents.

0 topics   38 posts
Strict rules and 10% of the value of the contest are the tax that has to be paid out are part of the reasons.
Look here for more info http://snipurl.com/tmbtc
I used to think that this was a bad thing but when realize that it gives Quebecois much better odds to win that isn't a bad thing. Better odds because the population base is much smaller than the whole population of Canada. The downside would be prizes would not be as good and less contests.
When you think of Canadians entering US based contests the odds are much worse.

22 topics   211 posts
Valued Contributor
The reason for excluding Quebec has to do with the Quebecois provincial government and their rules and licencing costs, more than any attempt to leave them out of contests deliberately.
Different provincial tax laws. Quebec wants a taste of all contests and you must pay for that provinces involvement.

0 topics   5 posts
Thanks for all the information people. It always comes down to the mighty dollar in the end, always does.

84 topics   181 posts
Valued Contributor
thats dumb

152 topics   1825 posts
Elite Poster
Due to the laws in Quebec, not only can it be expensive for the contest sponsor to include Quebec, it is also timely. There are applications, reports etc that must be submitted which can take weeks to months to process. They don't make it easy.

2 topics   53 posts
Active Poster
maybe the people who make up the contest can't understand french.

152 topics   1825 posts
Elite Poster
They have laws that are different from the rest of the country

384 topics   2933 posts
Elite Poster
Kim wrote...
Due to the laws in Quebec, not only can it be expensive for the contest sponsor to include Quebec, it is also timely. There are applications, reports etc that must be submitted which can take weeks to months to process. They don't make it easy.

Exactly right, but there are some very good Quebec exclusive contests that can almost guarantee yourself a prize.

253 topics   1025 posts
Elite Poster
cuz the laws are so different from the rest of us. Its really weird how Quebec likes to make themself so different from the rest of Canada in terms of their laws. Its not really anyones fault but the law.

40 topics   122 posts
Active Poster

Moderators: Tim, admin, Gina